Learn how to compile your own betting tissues
To help you develop skills in compiling tissues and gain practice in doing so, I am trialling a betting tissue club for Hong Kong races.
Each Thursday, I will nominate one race on the Sunday as that week’s ‘tissue race’. You can use the free resources on The Helpful Punter webpages to compile a tissue for that race, and submit it anonymously via an easy-to-use form.
Once all submissions have been received, I will produce a summary showing data such as the range of odds, median position in betting market, and mean odds submitted for each horse.
I will also include my tissue for comparison, and a brief blog post summarising why I have compiled my tissue the way I have. I do this so that you not only gain practice in compiling your own tissues, but see where others may have differed, and learn the thinking behind mine.
Generally speaking, I will choose the highest quality race that offers something of a challenge without setting too daunting a puzzle.
People should aim to produce a 100% book. The take-out from the HKJC tote means final odds for each race there are returned at significantly higher than 100%, but the overall aim of this exercise is to help you develop skills in assessing horses’ chances accurately and then using your tissues to select value bets.
Important: operational Rules
- One race on Sunday will be nominated on Thursday.
- The nominated race will be highlighted on The Helpful Punter webpages and via @HelpfulPunter on Twitter with a link to a webpage housing the materials needed and a secure upload form
- Tissues can only be submitted via the easy-to-use form to standardise submissions and help me compile the summary efficiently
- Tissues must be submitted before midday on Saturday (BST / Irish and UK time) before Sunday’s race to leave me sufficient time to compile the summary. Submissions received after midday will not be included
- The summary will, whenever possible, be posted to this site before 5 pm on Saturday
- There will be no personal identifiers so your anonymity is guaranteed
Resource — compile your own betting tissues
To see the resources devoted to the Betting Tissue Club, which can also be used by people wishing to learn these skills without being part of the club, see the Compile your own betting tissues resources here.
Included in these freely downloadable resources are a framework, table of things to consider when assigning odds, and a dynamic tissue calculator. These have been developed for Irish and UK racing primarily but may still be of some use for HK compilers. I will aim to update these for HK purposes soon.
Resource — HK speed ratings
I have been producing my own speed ratings for all HK races this season. These are freely available to anyone who would like them. Read more and sign up for updates here.